Thursday, November 4, 2010

Vestments for Priests

The desire to make vestments for priests has been in my heart for some time now.  I am so blessed to finally be able to begin this journey.  My hope is to bless and serve the priests as much as they do me.  



My first set was done for Father John Paul.  Happy 25th Anniversary Father!  This was such an honor to do for him.  My "Thanks" go out to his mother for trusting me with such a special gift!

The Chasuble was made with an ivory Ely Crown and the orphrey banding was made with a gold/white brocade.  The edges of the orphrey banding are finished with a tiny gold trim.  I digitized the gold Fluer de Lis and machine embroidered it onto the chest.  This chasuble is not lined and has a zipper on the right shoulder.


The inner hemline is with gold.



 The Stole is made from the same fabrics as the chasuble.  It is lined with a gold satin and has smaller, matching fluer de lis at the bottom along with a gold fringe.  This stole was made by machine and hand stitching.





This Stole was made for a priest in Canada.  A client wanted to have a double-sided stole made as a gift for her priest.  One side is white/gold and the other is green/gold.  I digitized the embroidered crosses and embellished the edges with a gold cording.




My next project was an Ordinary Time vestment set for Father John Paul.  The main fabric is a green Litchfield and the orphery banding is made with green/gold Evesham.  They work very well together.  



My next few projects have been a great blessing to me.  I have been fortunate enough to get to work on fixing old vestments.  It has turned out to be a lot more fun than I could have expected.  

First, I was commissioned to fix an old cope.  Being the perfectionist that I am, I went a few steps furt
her!  I ended up taking the entire thing apart, cleaning each piece by hand, attaching new interfacing to all of the orphery banding, and WHOA-LA!  A masterpiece was reborn!  I am so pleased with how this one turned out (no, really, you should have seen it before... I regret not getting those before pictures!) 




4 comments:

  1. Hi, I am currently writing my dissertation about medieval embroidery and have come across the word 'ophrey' a lot in my research but I can't actually find a definition anywhere. Can you help at all?
    Thanks,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies for not responding earlier. It could be that you are not getting anywhere with your search because the word is actually spelled "orphery". This is a common mistake though and I believe I even had it spelled wrong above due to a typo! Try searching the other word and I think you will have much more success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It's not a dress they are Vestments worn by a priest at the Eucharist.

      Delete